3 definition(s) found in 3 dictionary(ies). Click on dictionary name to show/hide that dictionary. Click on entry number to focus/unfocus on that entry.
Double-click on any word in an entry to look it up.
ἰδιώτης, ἰδιώτης, private person (i.e., not an official or professional), individual; layman
- Ia private person, an individual, ξυμφέροντα καὶ πόλεσι καὶ ἰδιώταις Thuc., etc.
- IIone in a private station, opp. to one taking part in public affairs, Hdt., Attic; opp. to στρατηγός, a private soldier, Xen.
- 2a common man, plebeian, Plut.
- 3as adj., ἰδ. βίος a private station, homely way of life, Plat.
- IIIone who has no professional knowledge, as we say "a layman," ἰατρὸς καὶ ἰδιώτης Thuc.; opp. to ποιητής, a prose-writer, Plat.; to a trained soldier, Thuc.; to a skilled workman, Plat.
- 2c. gen. rei, unpractised, unskilled in a thing, Lat. expers, rudis, ἰατρικῆς id=Plat.; also, ἰδ. κατά τι Xen.
- 3generally, a raw hand, an ignorant, ill-informed man, id=Xen., Dem.
- IVἰδιῶται oneʼs own countrymen, opp. to ξένοι, Ar.