3 definition(s) found in 3 dictionary(ies). Click on dictionary name to show/hide that dictionary. Click on entry number to focus/unfocus on that entry.
Double-click on any word in an entry to look it up.
ἡγεμονία, a leading the way, going first
- Ia leading the way, going first, Hdt.
- IIchief command, id=Hdt., Thuc., etc.; ἡγ. δικαστηρίων authority over them, Aeschin.
- 2the hegemony or sovereignty of one state over a number of subordinates, as of Athens in Attica, Thebes in Boeotia:— the hegemony of Greece was wrested from Sparta by Athens; and the Peloponn. war was a struggle for this hegemony.
- b= Roman imperium, Plut.: the reign of the Emperor, NTest.
- IIIa division of the army, a command, Plut.