5 definition(s) found in 5 dictionary(ies). Click on dictionary name to show/hide that dictionary. Click on entry number to focus/unfocus on that entry.
Double-click on any word in an entry to look it up.
φυλακή, φυλακή, watching, guarding; garrison
φυλακή (φυλάσσω): watch, guard; φυλακὰς ἔχειν, ‘keep guard,’ Il. 9.1; ‘outposts,’ Il. 10.416.
- Ia watching or guarding, watch, guard, ward, esp. by night, φυλακῆς μνήσασθε keep watch and ward, Il.; so, φυλακὰς ἔχειν id=Il.; ὅπως ἀφανὴς εἴη ἡ φ. that there might be nothing visible to watch, Thuc.; φυλακὴν φυλάττειν to keep watch, Xen.; τὰς φ. ποιεῖσθαι id=Xen.; φυλακὰς καταστήσασθαι to set watches, Ar.
- 2a watch or guard, of persons, Plat., Xen., etc.; ἡ τοῦ σώματος φ. a body guard, Dem.:— a guard or garrison, Hdt.; ἡ ἐν τῇ Ναυπάκτῳ φ., of a squadron of ships, Thuc.
- 3of place, a watch, station, post, Il., Xen.
- 4of time, a watch of the night, Hdt., Eur., etc.
- 5a place for keeping others in, a ward, prison, Anth., NTest.
- IIa watching, guarding, keeping, preserving, whether for security or custody, ἔχειν ἐν φυλακῇ τινά to keep guarded or occupied, Hdt.; τὸν τῆς γλώσσης χαρακτῆρα ἐν φυλακῇ ἔχειν to preserve the same character of language, id=Hdt.; so, διὰ φυλακῆς ἔχειν or ποιεῖσθαί τι, Thuc.:—also, φυλακὴν ἔχειν, φυλάττεσθαι, to keep guard, be on the watch, περί τινα Hdt.; ἦσαν ἐν φυλακῇσι were on their guard, id=Hdt.
- 2guardianship, Arist.
- 3a safe-guard, Isocr.
- III(from Mid.) precaution, Plat.