.μέρος, έος, εος, τό,
- Ia part, share, Hdt., etc.
- 2oneʼs portion, heritage, lot, Aesch.; ἀπὸ μέρους from considerations of rank, Thuc.
- IIoneʼs turn, Hdt., etc.; ἀγγέλου μ. his turn of duty as messenger, Aesch.:— ἀνὰ μέρος in turn, by turns, Eur.; so, κατὰ μέρος Thuc.; ἐν μέρει in turn, Hdt., etc.; ἐν τῷ μέρει in oneʼs turn, id=Hdt.; παρὰ τὸ μ. out of oneʼs turn, Xen.; πρὸς μέρος in proportion, Thuc.; τὸ μέρος in part, Hdt.
- IIIthe part one takes in a thing, or the part assigned one, τοὐμὸν μέρος, τὸ σὸν μ. my or thy part, i. e. simply I or me, thou or thee, Soph.; and absol. as adv., τοὐμὸν μ. as to me, Lat. quod ad me attinet, id=Soph.
- IVa part, as opp. to the whole, ἡμέρας μ. Aesch.: a division of an army, Xen.; τὰ πέντε μ. five-sixths, τὰ ὀκτὼ μ. eight-ninths, etc.
- 2ἐν μέρει τινὸς τιθέναι, ποιεῖσθαι to put in the class of . ., consider as so and so, Plat.; ἐν οὐδενὸς εἶναι μέρει to be as no one, Dem.; ἐν προσθήκης μέρει as an appendage, id=Dem.