6 definition(s) found in 6 dictionary(ies). Click on dictionary name to show/hide that dictionary. Click on entry number to focus/unfocus on that entry.
Double-click on any word in an entry to look it up.
λευκός, light, bright, clear
λευκός : clear, i. e. transparent or full of light, as water, the surface of water, or the radiance of the sky, Od. 5.70, Od. 10.94, Od. 6.45; then white, as snow, milk, bones, barley, Il. 10.437, Od. 9.246, Od. 1.161, Il. 20.496.
λευκός, ή, όν
from Root !λυκ
- Ilight, bright, brilliant, of sun light, Hom., Soph.; and of metallic surfaces, λέβης Il.; also, λ. γαλήνη a glassy calm, Od.; of water, generally, bright, limpid, Hom., Eur.
- 2metaph. clear, plain, distinct, of authors, Anth.
- IIof colour, white, Hom., etc.; λ. ἅρμα λεύκιππον, Eur.
- 2of the skin, white, fair, Hom., Trag.; with a notion of bare, πούς Eur., cf. λευκόπους:—later, as a mark of effeminacy, blanched, white, pale, Ar., Xen.:— λευκαὶ φρένες in Pind. may be pale with envy, envious.
- 3λ. χρυσός, pale gold, i. e. gold alloyed with silver (prob. the same as ἤλεκτρον), opp. to χρυσὸς ἄπεφθος, Hdt.
- 4λευκὸν ἦμαρ νυκτὸς ἐκ μελαγχίμου a bright day after a night of mourning, Aesch.