4 definition(s) found in 4 dictionary(ies). Click on dictionary name to show/hide that dictionary. Click on entry number to focus/unfocus on that entry.
Double-click on any word in an entry to look it up.
δραχμή, δραχμή, ἡ, drachma (noun)
δραχμ-ή, ἡ, (δράσσομαι, prop.
- Aas much as one can hold in the hand, cf. Plu.Lys.17):
- I a weight, drachm, [κρεῶν] prob. in IG12.10.4, Thphr.Od.17, etc.
- 2 a silver coin, drachma, worth six obols, Hdt.7.144, And.4.18, IG7.3171.52 (Orchom. Boeot.), 9(1).694.54 (Corc.), etc. [The penult. is long in Simon.157, and sts. in Com., Ar.V.691 (anap.), Pax 1201, Pl.1019, Pl.Com.174.17: δαρχμή is found in Hsch.; cf. δαρκνά.]
- 1properly, a handful, like δράγμα:—an Attic weight, a drachm, weighing about 66 1/2 grains, the Aeginetan being = 2/3 Attic.
- 2an Attic silver coin, a drachma, worth 6 obols, i. e. 9 3/4 d., nearly = Roman denarius and Fr. franc, Hdt., etc.