6 definition(s) found in 6 dictionary(ies). Click on dictionary name to show/hide that dictionary. Click on entry number to focus/unfocus on that entry.
Double-click on any word in an entry to look it up.
αἴρω, to take up, raise, lift up
Epic and poet. ἀείρω q.v.
distinguish ἀρῶ from ἀ_ρῶ, contr. of ἀερῶ.
- Ito take up, raise, lift up, Il., etc.; αἴρειν βῆμα to step, walk, Eur.; αἴρ. σημεῖον to hoist a signal, Xen.:—Pass. to mount up, ascend, id=Xen.
- 2often of armies and ships, αἴρ. τὰς ναῦς to get the fleet under sail, Thuc.:—also intr. to get under way, start, set out, ἆραι τῶι στρατῶι id=Thuc.;—so in Mid. and Pass., Hdt., etc.
- IIto bear, sustain, μόρον Aesch.; ἆθλον Soph.
- IIIto raise up, exalt, Aesch.:—of passion, to exalt, excite, ὑψοῦ αἴρειν θυμόν to grow excited, Soph.; αἴρειν θάρσος to pluck up courage, Eur., etc.: Pass., οὐκ ἤρθη νοῦν ἐς ἀτασθαλίην Simon.
- 2to raise by words, to extol, exaggerate, Eur., Dem.
- IVto lift and take away, to remove, Aesch., etc.:—to take off, kill, NTest.
- BMid., with perf. pass. ἦρμαι, to take up for oneself: to carry off, win, gain, κλέος Il.; ἀέθλια (of horses) id=Il.; κῦδος Hom.:—hence simply to receive, get, ἕλκος ἀρέσθαι Il.; also, δειλίαν ἀρεῖ wilt incur a charge of cowardice, Soph.
- IIto take upon oneself, undergo, carry, bear, Il., etc.
- 2to undertake, begin, πόλεμον Thuc., etc.; φυγὴν ἀρέσθαι, Lat. fugam capere, Aesch.
- IIIto raise up, σωτῆρά τινι Soph.: of sound, αἴρεσθαι φωνήν to raise, lift up oneʼs voice, Ar.