4 definition(s) found in 4 dictionary(ies). Click on dictionary name to show/hide that dictionary. Click on entry number to focus/unfocus on that entry.
Double-click on any word in an entry to look it up.
χώρα, χώρᾱ, χώρᾱς, ἡ, land, country
χώρα, Ionic χώρη, ἡ,
- Ithe space in which a thing is, Lat. locus, οὐδέ τι πολλὴ χώρη μεσσηγύς Il.; ὀλίγῃ ἐνὶ χώρῃ id=Il.
- 2generally, a place, Hom.
- 3oneʼs place, position, ἐν χώρῃ ἕζεσθαι Il.; esp. a soldierʼs post, χώραν λείπειν Thuc.; χώραν λαβεῖν to find oneʼs place, ἕως ἂν χώραν λάβῃ τὰ πράγματα till they are brought into position, into order, Xen.
- 4metaph. oneʼs place in life, station, place, position, Ἄρης δʼ οὐκ ἐνὶ χώρᾳ the spirit of war is not there, Aesch.; ἐν ἀνδραπόδων or μισθοφόρων χώρᾳ εἶναι to be in the position of slaves or mercenaries, Xen.; ἐν οὐδεμιᾷ χώρᾳ εἶναι to be in no esteem, nullo loco haberi, id=Xen.:—also, κατὰ χώραν (χώρην) εἶναι, ἔχειν to be in oneʼs place, to keep a thing in its place, Hdt., Ar.; κατὰ χ. μένειν to stand oneʼs ground, Hdt., Attic
- IIland, viz.,
- 1a land, country, Lat. regio, Od., Hdt., Trag.
- 2a piece of land, an estate, farm, Lat. ager, Xen.
- 3the country, opp. to the town, Lat. rus, τὰ ἐκ τῆς χώρας, ὁ ἐκ τῆς χώρας σῖτος Thuc., Xen.